Union Theological Seminary Campus

Methods of Giving

There are many ways to make a gift to Union, and making a gift has never been easier!  Whatever your schedule or budget, there are convenient and secure ways to support the vital work at Union.

Methods of Giving

You can make a one-time donation or schedule recurring gifts using the online giving form and your credit card information.


If you would prefer to make a gift over the phone or to mail a check to Union, we are happy to receive your gift in that way. Simply call our office at (212) 280-1412 or toll-free (800) 251-9489, or write to us at Union Theological Seminary, Development Office, 3041 Broadway, New York, NY 10027.

Here is the information you will need in order to make a donation to Union by bank wire:

ABA routing #: 021-0000-21, Account #: 610-553-283, Swift Code: CHASUS33.

Planned Gifts 

During this time of global financial and economic insecurity, planned gifts can be a way for loyal friends to provide significant support assuring Union's future growth and vibrancy. There are many ways to consider giving to Union, including bequests, life insurance, and trusts. As always, consult your financial advisor to determine how this sort of charitable gift will impact your estate plans.



A gift to Union in your will that does not affect your cash flow during your lifetime.

How it works:

  • You make a bequest to Union in your will or revocable trust.

  • Union receives your gift at the time of your passing.


  • A bequest is the simplest form of planned giving. It can be a specific dollar amount, a percentage of your estate, a specific item or a specific piece of property.

  • Your estate will receive a tax deduction for the value of your gift to Union.

  • You retain possession of your assets during your lifetime, and can make changes to your bequest.

Charitable Remainder Trusts

Your gift is placed into a trust, and Union makes fixed annual payments to your or designated beneficiaries. Or, the trust can pay a percentage of its principal, which is re-valued each year. In either case, when the trust terminates, Union receives the remaining principal.

How it works:

  • You contribute cash, securities, or other appreciated property into a trust.

  • The trustee makes annual payments to you or beneficiaries you name.

  • When the trust terminates, the remaining property passes to Union.


  • You are entitled to a current income tax deduction for a portion of your trust contribution.

  • You can contribute appreciated assets with a low yield to the trust, which can then be sold and reinvested. Doing this, you may receive a higher payout without loss due to capital gains tax on the assets.

  • The annual payments can be a fixed amount, or they can come in the form of a fixed percentage of trust assets valued annually.

  • You or your beneficiaries receive stable, predictable income for life or a term of years.

Charitable Lead Trusts

This trust pays income to Union for a fixed period of time. The trust principle then reverts to the donors or their heirs.

How it works:

  • You contribute cash, securities, or other appreciated property to a charitable lead trust.

  • The trust makes annual payments to Union for a fixed number of years.

  • When the trust terminates, the remaining principal transfers to your beneficiaries – usually children, grandchildren, or trusts for them.


  • Charitable lead trusts can be excellent vehicles to negotiate gift or estate tax liabilities.

  • Appreciation of the trust is enjoyed tax-free by your beneficiaries.

  • The amount and period of payments to Union can be arranged to reduce or eliminate transfer taxes when the principal transfers to your beneficiaries.

Retained Life Estate

Receive a significant deduction by donating a residence while you retain the right to live there for life.

How it works:

  • You donate a residential property to Union, with the right to live there for life.

  • You continue to be responsible for all taxes and maintenance costs.

  • Property ownership transfers to Union upon your passing.


  • You enjoy an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your property’s value.

  • You can relinquish your right to live in the property at any time and enjoy an additional tax deduction.

Pooled Income Funds

This is similar to a mutual fund that accepts gifts from many donors, manages them, and distributes earnings of the fund to you or designated beneficiaries during their lifetime.

How it works:

  • You make a contribution to one of Union’s pooled income funds.

  • You or your beneficiaries are entitled to receive a share of income generated by the fund.

  • When you or your beneficiaries pass on, Union receives your contribution.


  • You receive immediate credit for your gift and its corresponding tax benefits.

  • You don’t have to pay capital gains tax on any appreciated assets that you donate.

  • Your share of the fund income can exceed the dividends you were receiving on the securities you donated.

Lifetime Gifts of Insurance

Transfer ownership of a paid-up life insurance policy to Union. You receive an immediate tax credit for the cash surrender value of the policy without adversely affecting

How it works:

  • You can name Union as the beneficiary on your life insurance policy.

  • You keep the policy in force and Union receives your gift when the policy matures.

  • Or, if the policy is not to be kept in force, Union can cash in the policy.


  • If the policy has a cash surrender value, you can take an income tax deduction for the value of the policy.

  • If you keep the policy in force with Union named as a beneficiary, you can take an income tax deduction for the premiums.

IRA Charitable Rollover

Individuals age 701/2 or over can make gifts of up to $100,000 directly from their IRAs to Union without having to report the distribution as taxable income on their income tax return, so long as certain restrictions are met. Please contact your tax advisor for more information regarding tax status of the gift.

Gifts of securities

Making a gift of securities is simple. Our bank is: JP Morgan Chase Bank, 2824-2826 Broadway, New York, NY 10025, USA. Account Name: Union Theological Seminary, Tax ID#: 13-1624238. For securities transfers (stock and mutual fund gifts):The brokerage account number for Union Theological Seminary is: 732-66211. The Chase Investment Services Corp. clearing number (DTC) is: 0352. Union will fax transfer instructions to your financial advisor or broker.


Other Gifts

Real estate, art, or other collectibles make wonderful gifts to Union. If you are considering a gift of this sort, please contact Gabriele Gossner, Director of Individual Giving and the Annual Fund, at 212-280-1412 for more information. Your gift may be an opportunity to support named scholarships and fellowships or other named endowments.

Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match any charitable contributions made by their employees. To find out if your company has a matching gift policy, please enter your employer's name below.

Search for your employer here.

If your company is eligible, request a matching gift form from your employer, and send it completed and signed with your gift to Luke Henderson, Union Theological Seminary, 3041 Broadway, New York, NY, 10027. We will do the rest. The impact of your gift may be doubled or possibly tripled! Some companies match gifts made by retirees and/or spouses.

My Union - Union Theological Seminary in New York City
© 2016 Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

3041 Broadway at 121st Street, New York, NY 10027 | Tel: (212) 662-7100


Site Map Privacy Policy Email Preferences Contact Us